Translate

Friday 16 June 2017

#DrawingBreath Project

  
Great to be a part of a community of artists highlighting the vital work of VSO worker Andrew Sesay helping to save lives of mothers and babies in Sierra Leone #DrawingBreath.  Ninth Laurette Chris Riddell has made a wonderful video using live illustrations called Giving Birth in Sierra Leone




I experimented with various dip pens including my bamboo ones that I haven't used in a long time. It was much easier working in the studio with this technique. I Did try using dip Pens on location when I went to the Barcelona Urban Sketching Symposium but I made a huge mess and gave up. I really enjoyed using the ink in this project and will try to work out a way of taking them out again without too much mess. 





I made all the drawing separately and then scanned them in and composed them together using layer masks on photoshop. I was aiming to get the lighting to be quite dramatic to illustrate how difficult it is for Andrew as he tries to work under very poor lighting conditions often with only torchlight. I must say drawing babies was quite a challenge!






No comments:

Post a Comment