Translate

Monday 30 March 2015

Amsterdam Trip

I spent a week in Amsterdam with a group of 40 A'level art students on an art trip in Febuary. This was my second year and I think Amsterdam is a fantastic city. We stayed at the Poet Hotel in the museum district and visited a number of the museums and art galleries. We visited the Stedelijk museum, The Famous Rijks museum, The Foam and The Kroller Muller.





We Saw Ed Atkins Exhibition which was too digital for me but impressive in terms of the shear scale of of the digital video projections which was totally immersive and took you through a hyperreal virtual world questioning morality, love and intimate relationships. Atkins made himself into a digital avatar.




The most impressive work I saw at the Steadlijk for me was a series of drawings by a dutch artist Jan Toorop capturing workers in a candle factory 1905. He inspired me to buy some charcoal pencils. Great use of mark making and repetitive rhythm of the linework to give a feeling of the busy working environment and sense of time.
Jan Toorop - The Candle Factory 1905

Here are a few of my sketches from the trip. Lots of time on board the ferry trip from Harwich to the Hook of Holland to experiment with some portrait drawing. I also had a play around with colour using my inktense pencils inspired by Lynn Chapman










I'm amazed by the bike system in Amsterdam. A whole family can travel on a bike with various trailers and additional seating, dogs included. I love the up right dutch style of bike.
Waiting for the Ferry to NDSM Island 

Cafe welling is the best cafe/Bar in Amsterdam ....full of atmosphere and character. Its a great place to sketch almost like being on a film set from the 1940's......








No comments:

Post a Comment